The World Bank Legal Vice Presidency (“LEGVPU”) offers highly-motivated law students an opportunity to be exposed to the mission and work of the World Bank and that of LEGVPU.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2022
Eligible Countries: IBRD Member countries
To be Taken at (Country):
- The World Bank Legal Internship Program is offered at World Bank Headquarters in Washington, D.C. and in certain selected country offices for currently enrolled law school students.
- Country offices: LEGVPU has limited its internships in the field to offices where a LEGVPU lawyer is present.
About the World Bank Legal Vice Presidency Internship Program: The World Bank Legal Internship Program allows individuals to bring new perspectives, innovative ideas, and latest research experiences into the World Bank’s daily operations and improve their legal skills while working in a multicultural environment.
The objective of both programs is to provide you first-hand experiences of the day-to-day operations of the World Bank by closely collaborating with staff in LEGVPU. As part of our team, working directly with outstanding and inspiring development professionals and senior management, you will get the chance to contribute to the legal services offered by LEGVPU as well as participate in high-profile events and conferences organized during the term of your internship.
The World Bank Legal Internship Program is offered thrice a year for a period of maximum three months at World Bank Headquarters in Washington, D.C. and in certain selected country offices for currently enrolled law school students.
Eligibility: Can you be a World Bank Legal Vice Presidency Internship Program LEGVPU intern?
- Do you hold citizenship of any IBRD member state?
- Are you currently enrolled in an LLB, JD, LLM, SJD, PhD, or equivalent program?
- Do you have an excellent command of the English language?
If you have answered yes to all these questions, you are eligible to be a LEGVPU intern. Preference shall be given to candidates who possess a decent command of a second language, especially if that is one of the working languages of IBRD (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
Applications from eligible international as well as U.S.-based students are equally encouraged.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of World Bank Legal Vice Presidency Internship Program:
- Visa: Students partaking in the World Bank Legal Internship Program must have valid student visa documents sponsored by their educational institutions. The World Bank shall only assist attainment of visa documents for participants of the World Bank Legal Internship Program in exceptional cases.
- Cost: The World Bank shall not remunerate participants of the World Bank Legal Internship Program in the form of monetary fees/compensation. Each World Bank Legal Intern must however be remunerated in accordance with World Bank Group policies and standards in the form of (i) monetary fees/compensation paid by the university or other sponsoring organization and acceptable to the Bank; or (ii) academic credit equivalent to the Bank’s fee schedule. Hence, students partaking in the World Bank Legal Internship Program must secure appropriate funding sources for the duration of their internships.
- Medical Insurance: World Bank Legal Interns are responsible for their own medical insurance and any cost(s) arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during the internship period and must show proof of a valid major global medical insurance coverage.
- Onboarding: The World Bank Legal Vice Presidency shall organize a brief onboarding session at the beginning of the Summer, Fall, and Spring Internship Program for the incoming cohort.
- Evaluations on Performance: The World Bank shall not provide evaluation on the performance of participants in the World Bank’s Legal Internship Program.
- Please note that applying or partaking in the World Bank Legal Internship Program does not constitute a promise or guarantee of employment at the World Bank upon completion of the Program.
Duration of Award: The World Bank Legal Internship Program is offered thrice a year for a period of maximum three months.
How to Apply for World Bank Legal Vice Presidency Internship Program: Please submit the below documents through this link:
- Statement of Interest
- Proof of enrollment in a law degree (LLB, JD, LLM, SJD, PhD, or equivalent) and academic transcript(s).
- Short essay providing a response to a research question posed by the Legal Vice Presidency for the prevailing application period.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.