- 19 Ogunyemi Rd, Maroko 106104, Lagos, Nigeria
- Employees can work remotely
PowerGen Renewable Energy is a micro-grid developer and Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) company for Commercial and Industrial (C&I) solar projects in Africa. PowerGen is creating an African energy system that utilizes clean, renewable energy and smarter grids to deliver power to all.
We uniquely combine our mission – to build Africa’s future energy system, while improving lives through smarter power – with technical, on-the-ground expertise and an innovative business model. We build, own and operate AC micro-grids and C&I solar projects to bring power to residential, commercial and industrial customers. With over 120 employees, a 7,500 sq. ft. workshop and headquarters in Nairobi, offices in Tanzania, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, PowerGen is building a company that is set to have an impact on the energy sector in Africa for years to come.
Purpose / Overview
The Nigeria Business Unit Accountant handles processing of accounting transactions, preparation of reconciliation and supporting schedules that provide confidence that the Nigeria balance sheet is accurate and collaborative improvement of inefficient Finance and business system team process improvement.
The Finance team will ensure that we use our technical competence to help PowerGen achieve its vision of becoming the leading renewable energy utility in Africa profitably.
We do this by processing transactions within the agreed due dates, we maintain up to date reconciliations and schedules, we review our balance sheet accounts every month to ensure it is accurate, we achieve unqualified audit opinions, and we continually improve our processes to make them more efficient so that we spend less time processing transactions and more time on analysis and growth opportunities. We continuously review and improve our internal controls i.e. our mechanisms and procedures to ensure PowerGen is operating effectively and efficiently, has reliable financial reporting and is compliant with company policies government laws and regulations.
- Ensure month-end closure is completed on or before the 5th of the new month.
- Achieve a Nigeria Finance scorecard score of > 90% every month for the accounts responsible for
- Achieve a 100% score every month on the Finance timeliness scorecard that tracks how long it takes the Finance team to complete key processes such as year-end audit, month-end close, monthly cash flow forecasting and circulation of monthly management reports
- Ensure 100% regulatory compliance for the business by making prompt remittance of VAT, WHT, PAYE and Pension every month
- Process Improvement. Suggest one process improvement, every quarter, to be championed by the Finance team and work with the Finance Manager to implement the agreed improvements.
What You Will Make Happen:
- Process transactions in ODOO i.e. posting cash and bank expenses, creating bills, paying bills, billing purchase orders, following up on open purchase orders, process expense reports and tag transactions as per agreed timelines.
- Facilitating payments to vendors within two business days as well as maintaining the payment advice and payment tracker as audit trail for transactions
- Maintain accurate up to date schedules for all key balance sheet accounts i.e. bank and cash accounts, mobile money accounts, Fixed asset register, prepayments, accruals, inventory, accounts receivable, accounts payable, matching inter-company balances with other PowerGen entities
- Ensuring tax and regulatory compliance by reviewing the books on a monthly basis in order to remit taxes on or before the due dates.
- Month end closure activities such as recognition of electricity sales revenue, direct costs, bank statements reconciliation, accruals, and provisions etc.
- Accounting activities including preparation and processing of NGBU payments, document management (organization and filing of receipts) and cash management
- Provide support to external auditors, tax consultants and regulators during audits by providing documents and schedules to enable completion of exercise within the stipulated timeline.
- Proactively identify areas/processes to be improved and work with Finance Manager to implement proposed solutions
- Perform any other task as directed by Finance Manager
- Good understanding of IFRS and local tax laws and regulations
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office
- Collaborative skills. Ability to work with other PowerGen team members to collectively solve problems and progress towards a common goal
- Good communication skills. Ability to express ideas and information clearly.
- Curiosity. Ability to take responsibility for your own development, accept feedback, remain teachable and keep raising the bar when targets are met.
- Familiarity with at least one Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system
- Problem solving skills. Ability to identify what is causing an issue to happen and how to resolve it.
- Drive and resilience. Ability to have a sense of urgency to close on agreed activities.
- Ability to work independently i.e. you can get the job done with minimal direction
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines and produce high quality outputs
- Self-motivated, positive attitude, flexible and adaptable to the needs of team and organization
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Accounting or any other business-related discipline
- Chartered Accountant with ICAN/ACCA/CIMA
- 3 – 4 years professional industry experience as an Accountant/Finance Personnel
- Cognate experience interfacing with ERP systems
- Experience in the following industries will be an added advantage:
What Excites You:
- Intense attention to detail and managing multiple and varied work streams at the same time
- Working collaboratively with many internal teams across multiple countries and offices to drive growth and operational excellence
- A fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm.
- Competitive compensation
- Medical benefit
- Performance bonus
- Learning & development allowance